The first time I made these was over ten years ago. They were a huge hit. I actually confused meat eaters with them, but don’t let that deter you if your vegetarian. I decided to recreate the recipe for Baby Blu’s first birthday party. No one here had ever heard of a sausage roll so their first experience was a vegetarian one. They loved them. No sausages necessary.
These sausage rolls I like to call “a naughty but not so naughty treat.” They take me back to my childhood when my mum would on special occasions take us to the bakery after school to get a sausage roll. Of course, I would smother it in tomato sauce. These days I prefer to smother the modern vegetarian sausage roll in chili sauce. I will be sure to add some links to clean and healthy sauces in the recipe. Spoiler alert: I am currently fermenting chilis to make my own sauce ;)
This sausage roll recipe makes a heap and they are great to store in the freezer. When ready, you just have to take out and stick straight in the oven for approximately 25 minutes on 350 F or 180 C.
You have the option to make these sausage rolls vegan or vegetarian. The vegan version will use flax eggs by mixing flaxseed meal with water. The vegetarian version uses two eggs. I have made both versions and they both work well.
I gave these to Blu last night for dinner as I was exhausted and just didn’t have it in me to cook her a fresh meal. I threw two small sausage rolls in the oven and off we went for a walk. We came back and her dinner was ready after I put some avocado on the side. She loved them. I know she loves something when she doesn’t throw it on the floor :)
These are worth the prep work as they make many future meals so much easier. Honestly, they don’t actually take that long. I will lay out the process clear as clear can be. Always feel free to reach out with any questions in the comments section. Im glad to help.
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
- 500 g firm tofu
- 2 eggs (beaten) or 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated zucchini (excess water squeezed out)
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp braggs aminos
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp groundflax seed
- 3 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of puff pastry ready-made
How to cook Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
- If making the vegan version mix 2 tbsp flaxseed meal with 6 tbsp water and set aside 10 minutes.
- Remove tofu from its package and get rid of excess water. With a tea towel or paper towel pat down the tofu. Place tofu in a large mixing bowl and crumble either using your hands or a fork. You want to get rid of all big pieces.
- Add the grated carrot and zucchini (excess water squeezed out) beaten eggs/ or flax egg, grated onion, coconut aminos, braggs aminos, and onion to the tofu mix. Combine everything together.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine rolled oats, crushed walnuts (you can use a blender to crush walnuts or a mallet), bread crumbs, flaxseed meal, yeast flakes, salt, and herbs. Mix together until combined.
- Transfer the dry ingredient mix to the wet ingredient mix. With your hands or a wooden spoon combine everything together.
- Remove puff pastry from the freezer and packet and allow to thaw enough so that you can unfold the pastry sheets. Starting with one at a time.
- Unwrap the first sheet of puff pastry and place on a floured surface. Cut along the fold lines to create 2 -3 strips of dough. (this will depend on how big the dough is your working with)
- Spoon out some of the sausage mix and place down the center of puff pastry strips. Fold pastry over and press seam to seal. Pinch the edges where the pastry comes together to help seal.
- Cut each roll into 5 or 6 roundabout equal pieces (about 2 inches apart).
- IF STORING- wrap the precut sausage roll in plastic wrap keeping the long roll intact. Continue with the rest of the mixture to make and store. When you are ready to eat take the rolls out of the freezer and snap into their individual pieces placing on a lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes (or until pastry is golden and puffy) on 350 F / 180 C.
- IF BAKING RIGHT AWAY - Place the pre-cut individual sausage rolls on a lined baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes (or until pastry is golden and puffy) on 350 F / 180 C.
I hope you guys get to make these delicious treats. They really make a fun and yummy meal. Reach out to me on social media and tag me if you do make them. I love to see my recipes in kitchens around the world.
Also I am part of an affiliate program which means I ear a small percentage if you purchase products by clicking on the ingredients in the recipe above. Thank you for your support.